Lotus root peanut pork ribs soup



Lotus root peanut pork ribs soup
(This pictures shows the soup cooked with chicken drumsticks and chicken feet)
One of my favorite soup. This recipe, I will show you boiling the soup with pork ribs.
When boiling soup, there isn't any right or wrong way of boiling it.
More meat, will result in more meat sweet soup.
More Lotus root, also ended in more lotus sweet taste and more "cooling"
Peanut- I add in to give me a nutty taste. Sometimes, I will add in black bean too as I understand black bean has some antioxidant benefits.  What I am sharing is recipe for a group of 11 adults. 

Basic ingredients - Lotus roots, Pork Ribs and peanut.
I used 500 to 700 grams of Lotus roots
500 to 700 grams for pork Ribs
1 cup of dried peanuts
I am using a pot size 11 inches in diameter and 5.5 inches in height.
I fill water into pot at 1/3 in height before placing any ingredients in.
With this much water, I boiled for 11 adults.
I used 4 honey dates and 26 red dates.
For 6 adults, I will used 2 honey dates and about 12 red dates.


Wolfberries. Also know for its benefits for our eyes and antioxidants.
This will aid the sweetness of the soup. If we put more, the soup may turn too sweet an the soup will turn to a slightly darker shade. I usually use about 2 table spoon for 11 adults because I like to feed my family members with antioxidants.
I will only place wolfberries in the soup 15 mins before I turn off fire.

The Steps
Step 1. Wash the peanuts. Let it soak for 20 mins. Pour away the water to less the uric acid. (A friend told me about this step, not sure if it is true.) This step do not take away the smell and taste of the peanuts, so no harm doing it.
Fill the peanut with water again and let it soak for at least 4 hours. This is to help soften the peanut after the soup is boiled.
Step 2. I am using a pot size 11 inches in diameter and 5.5 inches in height. (For 11 adults)
1. Fill 1/3 pot with water including the water used to soak peanut (Before placing any ingredients-will add in more if required after adding all ingredients. It all depends on how much soup we want)
2.Add soaked peanut, red dates, garlic and honey dates.

3. Cook under high fire until it boils.




Step 3. While the soup base is boiling, prepare the pork ribs.
1. Wash the pork ribs.
2. Parboil the pork ribs by placing the pork ribs in high heat boiling water in a separate pot for at least 5 mins. This will remove some smell and scums.
3. Remove the pork ribs and place them in the boiling soup based from step 2.
Step 4. Turn to low heat once the soup boils and let it slow boil for 30 minutes.
Step 5. Add Wolfberries to soup from Step 4. Let it boil in slow fire for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste. The soup is ready. 
It is always good to leave it to sit for about 3 hours and reboil it again. So, I normally prepare the soup at about 2pm. At 6pm, I will reboil it and leave it to sit for another hour and heat it up againbefore serving at 7pm. By doing these steps, the soup has a deeper taste and the peanut will have a softer bite too.












Comments

Popular Posts