Meat roll with fish paste


Meat Roll with fish paste
I came up with this recipe to substitute the prawn roll (hei zho) . A dish that a lot of people loved. When I was younger, we will make this dish for Chinese New Year. A delicacy that everyone love. Unlike the Ngo Hiang (五香)this dish do not contain yam. We have our own traditional recipe from my maternal grandfather. The teochew version, we called it "kueh neck" in teochew.

This teochew meal roll basically contains the following ingredients. All ingredients are important to compliment the overall taste

Minced meat (Main ingredient)
Prawn meat (To add to the flavour)
Water chestnut (For crunchy bite)
Szechuan peppercorn powder
Leak
Small onion
Sesame Oil
Corn flour
Light sauce
salt
Bean curd skin (for wrapping)

Since I am allergic to prawns, and now it is very difficult to find Szechuan Peppercorn powder, I decided to make my own meat roll  without prawn and with the traditional taste I wanted. The result turn out well, quiet close to the meat roll I ate when I was young.
Below is my recipe.
500 to 600 gram of minced meat
I used 200 grams of fish paste to substitute prawns.
500 grams of minced meat. (600 grams of minced meat is OK too)
Small onion - we can use 4 pieces.
Since I do not have small onions, I use half a big onion. Chopped.
10 pieces of water chestnut, chopped (Cube of 7 to 10 mm) for crunchy feel
4 teaspoon of Sesame Oil
4 teaspoon of pepper
1 to 2 teaspoon of light soya sauce. The fish paste and the bean curd skin is salted. So we need to do a taste test to confirm how much light soya sauce we need to add. Today, the bean curd skin is rather salty, so I add only 1 teaspoon of light soya sauce.
Usually, I will wrap 1 roll of meat roll, fry it and taste if the taste is what I want. If it is not, I will adjust  the seasoning on the meat mixture before I continue to wrap them.
1 china Leak (or 2 if you prefer more leak taste)
1 bunch of coriander (can add 2 bunch if you like more of its taste)
All Chopped
Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly 

The bean curd skin comes in a large piece.
I will cut them into half, then into smaller pieces so it is easier for me to handle. (Usually I follow the folding line by the supplier). There is a layer of salt on the bean curd skin. Make sure we clean the salt away with a cloth before we start wrapping the meat.

To wrap
1. Take 1 piece of bean curd skin, clean away the salt on the sheets (both sides)
2. Put enough meat mixture on the sheet.
3. Start by wrapping it, follow the picture. There will be at least 2 rounds of skin wrapping the meat. Leave one side an continue with the rest of the meat.

To fry the meat roll -
Cut into short pieces, coat the open sides with corn flour.
Deep fry.

It is always better to steam the meat roll before freezing it to maintain the taste.
Pack them into for eg. 3 rolls in one box, so that we will only refroze what we want to eat.

Summary of my meat roll with fish paste recipe
Fish paste 200grams
About 500 to 600 grams of minced meat
4 teaspoon of pepper power
4 teaspoon of sesame oil
1 to 2 teaspoon of light soya sauce
4 teaspoon of corn flour

Leak 1 plant chopped
Coriander 1 plant chopped
Half big onion chopped
Water chestnut 10 pieces cut into apx 7 mm cubes
Bean curd sheet 1 piece (remember to dust away the salt before wrapping)
Corn flour for sealing the edges
Oil for deep frying


Comments

Popular Posts