Kueh Salat

Never expect myself to attempt this recipe but got tempted by a friend who made not only 1 but 3 kueh salat from this recipe. So I check out Shiokman Recipes by Eddie here. It is a 100% can use recipe. The sweetness is just right and the flavor is awesome. I ended up making also not 1 but 2 kuehs. Well the first one I got some steps wrong, but I can still get the kueh out deliciously. Not happy with my result and craving for the delicious kueh, I attempted another one, this time I did some fine tuning on the preparation method and arrive with a delicious kueh again. This recipe will definitely be one of my favorite and I will make this to share with families and friend whenever there is a gathering.   
The all natural ingredients used for this recipe is what I like.
The finished product look like it was made by someone professional though it is my 1st attempt. 
The pandan leave green has turn to yellowish green while the blue pea blue colour beautifully decorated this kueh. 

We need to cool the whole product for at least 4 hours before it harden before we can cut them out and savor. Funny how, while it is hot, we cannot smell the fragrance of the pandan flavour. When it cools down, I can smell the aroma of the kueh whenever I walked passed.

In his vlog, he tipped to use a plastic knife to cut the kueh so that it will not stick to the knife. A very helpful tip indeed. As I do not have a plastic knife, I used a big spectula. Something I can find from whatever resource at home as it is the circuit period this period and I am not able to get a new one as most of the kitchenware shop were asked to close by the authorities. This spectula worked well for me luckily. So I need not spend extra $$$.  

The ultimate weapon. PANDAN LEAVES. We need it for its aroma... without it, the kueh will not be nice. We need to use at least 30 leaves for juice and some for the rice. Juicing the pandan leaves is a lot of hassle. First we need to wash them one by one, then cut them into small leaves, place them in a blender, then squeeze the juice out from the puree. I hate this process. So I will try to do this 1 or 2 days earlier, and will make more of the juices, keep them in the refrigerator for use to bake a pandan chiffon cake as well. I also learnt from this process that I can leave the juice to sit for at least 4 hours where we can see the greenish liquid sank to the bottom.  Then we harvest the best bottom layer for best taste and colour. 
The next weapon - COCONUT MILK. Without this, the kueh will taste like normal egg custard. So this is also another important ingredient for its aroma.  I am too lazy to go to market to get the fresh ones to squeeze the milk out. So, I get these from the supermarket. It works well for me. 

Blue pea flowers. More for colouring the kueh. Heh, we normally used our 3 senses to enjoy our food. So, the blue colouring makes the kueh more tempting though it do not gives any taste difference. 

The blue colouring at the bottom of the kueh from Blue pea extract. So beautiful.

Shiokman Recipes by Eddie taught us how to cook the kaya by simply using the pot over the fire. However during my first try, I realised the direct heat can easily burn the pot and the kaya will turn burnt. So, I tweak it  by cooking over a pot of water. That is using double boiling method. This has helped a lot and the cooking process become very smooth. Also, once the kaya thicken a little, it is time to remove from heat, stir and pour over the warm flattened rice for the next steaming.

If using normal utensils to press the rice, I realised the rice tend to stick to the utensils. So I decided to try using a plastic bag over it. It worked well and I can press it with my hands and not getting my hands dirty.

The pressed rice from my 1st try.
So here is the recipe posted by Eddy.

BOTTOM LAYER
400 g glutinous rice
40-50 blue pea flowers bunga telang (soak in 100 ml water)
250 ml santan (150 ml thick coconut milk with 100 ml water)
1 tsp salt
Pandan leaves optional

TOP LAYER
3 large eggs 70 g
150 g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
400 ml thin santan (200 ml thick coconut milk with 200 ml water)
100 ml pandan water (from 30 pandan leaves with 100 ml water)
90 g plain flour
45 g tapioca flour

For some reason, it is very difficult for me to follow his recipe as there are a lot of need to prepare in advance steps.  I have changed it to follow my way of preparing the ingredients below. Hope anyone who read my blog will benefit from it too.

1 or 2 days before the day of making Kueh Salat

Step1 - Pandan Juice
Extract juice from 30 pandan leaves or more.

While it is possible to do it on the day itself, I prefer to do it one or 2 days in advance so that it is not too messy to prepare on the actual day.
If using the blender, we add water to facilitate the blending. After extracting the juice, leave it to stand for at least 4 hours or more.
We will be able to see the darker juice settling to the bottom. We shall harvest 100ml of the darker green juice for the green kaya/custard level. 
Do not throw the clear juice. We can use it for the water meant to mix with coconut milk for the santan for top layer.
If there are still balance of the clear juice, we can use it for the santan for the rice layer as well.
Keep the pandan juice in a bottle in the refrigerator.

Step 2 - Blue Pea flowers extract
40 to 50 blue pea flowers
100 ml water
Wash and boil them in 100ml of water.
Let it sit for 1 hour before squeezing out the blue pea extract. 
Keep the extract in a bottle in the refrigerator if it is done 1 day in advance. I did it on the day itself.

The night before 
Step 3 -  Soak the rice
400 grams glutinous rice
Wash the rice clean and leave it to soak overnight (room temperature). The required time by Eddy is 4 hours. I find that it is helpful to soak overnight so we can start as soon as we are free the next morning.

On the day of making kueh
Make the bottom (rice) layer.

Step 4 - Liquid for bottom layer
Stir and mix the following.
150 ml thick coconut milk .
100 ml water.
1 tsp salt.

Step 5 - Prepare to steam the rice for the 1st round
Placed a few pandan leaves at the bottom of the steaming pan .
Drain the glutinous rice (from Step 3).
Lay the  soaked glutinous rice in a steaming pan.
Pour the liquid from Step 4 into the pan. Ensure all rice soaked in the liquid.
Steam for 20 minutes.
Fluff up the rice.

Step 6 - 2nd round of steaming
After fluffing the rice from the 1st 20 minutes of steaming, add blue pea extract by batches.
Let it steam for another 10 minutes.

Step 7 - Compress the rice
Bring out the steamed rice from step 6.
Using a plastic bag, use a rice scoop or hand to press down the rice until it is firm and flat.
Leave it aside and prepare the top layer. 
To keep warm, we may leave it in the steamer while preparing the top layer. 

Step 8 - Mix the batter for the Kaya layer
For easy steps, I break them into the wet and dry ingredients.

Mix the wet ingredients.
3 large eggs (70 g per egg without shell).  I used 4 small eggs to weigh at 210 g without shell.
150 g sugar.
1/4 tsp salt.
200 ml thick coconut milk.
200 ml water (We can use the balance of the clear Pandan Juice).
100 ml concentrated pandan juice (from 30 pandan leaves with 100 ml water)
Stir the liquid ingredients until the coconut milk and eggs are well mixed.

Sieve the dry ingredients in another container
90 g plain flour
45 g tapioca flour
Make a well in the middle and slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stirring at the same time. This method will help the wet and dry ingredients mix properly.
We may need to sieve the mixed ingredients a few times to ensure the mixture is smooth without any lumps.

Step 9 - Cooking the kaya
For Eddy and my friend who tried this recipe, cooking the kaya over the direct heat is not problem for them. For me, I find it from my 1st try that the kaya can get burnt easily especially at the edge of the bottom of the pan. So I decided to cook over another pot of water. This double boiling method worked well for me.
The temperature is more consistence  cooking over the boiling water.  Once a thin layer of batter coat over a spoon, we can remove the batter from the boiling water. We can see that the mixture can thicken very quickly if it cool down. Gently pour the kaya over the compressed rice for the next steaming. Ensure the compressed rice is warm before pouring the kaya mixture on it. 
Steam for 40 mins to 50 mins under medium fire.
For me, the kueh is cooked by 40 mins.
Do not cut the kueh immediately once it is cooked. Leave it to cool down for 4 hours before cutting them. Remember to use a plastic knife to help with the cutting.

Here is the link to what kueh salat meant to me.








Comments

Popular Posts