Rice flour Chiffon Cake (Gluten Free)

 

I must thank Michael Lim for sharing his recipe here at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfa4D3E-fOw&t=118s
The video and comments was so convincing that I decided to try out my 1st gluten free cake.
Everyone was telling me to bake my own cakes after knowing that I am allergic to gluten. I thought I can buy them easily ... but no.... I was so wrong. Most of the gluten free products include Oats, which I am also allergic to. Also, they are priced very high. Wonder why. 

This cake uses rice flour as the main ingredients. It also contain 2 other ingredients that I am also allergic to. Milk and corn flour. But never mind. I shall try this recipe first before I tweak it to sesame flour and soy milk I supposed. First I must see if rice flour really worked for a chiffon cake and does it really come out bouncy. And yesh!!! It turn out so well. Fine, smooth and bouncy. I am so grateful to Michael Lim for this recipe.  
One must remember, we cannot expect the same kind of taste when we eat gluten free cakes. There is a powdery/grainy feel when we bite into this cake. Mainly we use rice flour and it do not contain gluten to hold them. Never mind about the slight difference in taste. We just need to treat it as rice chiffon cake. Then we will feel good about this cake.

The recipe. I used 100% of it. Need not reduce any sugar as compared to other bloggers.
Gluten Free Chiffon Cake
5 Eggs (58-60 gr. each with shell)
Please check out the video on the steps on how to bake this cake.

As for me, this is how I do it.
Mix the following together
5 egg yolks
115 gr. Rice Flour
46 gr./ Corn Flour / Corn Starch
110 gr./ml. Whole Milk
70 gr./ml. Vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Vanilla Essence

Beat up the Meringue
5 egg whites
100 gr. Fine Sugar
I add half teaspoon of cream of tartar for egg white to help maintain the air while beating and mixing.
Meringue is ready when they do not drop when lifted the bowl upside down.

To incorporate the egg white and egg yolk-this is how I do it, my method
1st, add 1/3 of egg white meringue to yolk mixture. Use a whisk to fold until incorporated.
Add another 1/3 of the egg white meringue to yok mixture and continue to fold.
3rd, pour the above mixture to the balance egg white using the whisk to assist to incorporate the mixture.
Transfer to baking tin and bake. 

Preheated Oven: 160°C
Baking temperature: 160°C
Baking Time: 50-55 minutes
                            
Baking time may vary depending on the type and accuracy of your oven.

I only own a 9 inches chiffon tin. So I used it to bake the 5 eggs recipe. Still good to use as the cake can rise with plenty of space.


Comments

Popular Posts