Traditional Steam Egg Cake (2)


Traditional Steam Egg Cake-my 2nd recipe.
Though I have no problem with my 1st recipe posted on the 15 Oct 2020 at this link
https://kimpriorityf3.blogspot.com/2020/10/traditional-steam-egg-cake.html
I chanced upon another recipe and it tasted softer. 

Saw someone recomended the recipe from Youtube, Marykitchen and I decided to try out. If you happened to read my blog and is a beginner, do check her video to guide you how to make this cake.

Marykitchen used the following ingredients proportion.
4 eggs.
250 grams sugar.
300 grams low protein flour.
200 grams sprite.
Recommended steaming round tin - diameter of 20cm x 9cm.

I decided to tweak to my own liking.
4 eggs. (60grams ones)
230 grams sugar. (Reduced by 20 grams)
300 grams self raising flour (instead of low protein flour)
200 gram of pandan juice (instead of sprite).
I used a round tin - diameter of 22cm x 8cm.
Steaming time 35mins.

Pandan juice made from
4 to 6 pandan leaves.
210 grams of water.

Other than the ingredients, I do the others preperation my way. 
So lets start steaming a new traditional egg cake.


Step 1. Get the pandand juice.
Pour 210 gram of water into the blender.
Cut the pandan leaves into the blender before setting to blend a low speed.
Obtain the result of the picture above so that we can sieve away the pandan plup.
After squeezing the pandan plup, we will be able to obtain 200grams of pandan juice.

Step 2. Prepare the ingredients.
Lay baking paper over the steaming tin.
230 grams of caster sugar.
300 grams of self raising flour-sift.
4 eggs.

Step 3.  Start the fire for the steamer to heat up. We need the water to be boiling when we finished preparing the batter. Ensure water placed is enough for 35mins of boiling at high fire.
I noticed my water boil just before I finished folding in the flour to my batter. So it is always better to have the steamer wait for the batter rather than vice versa. 

Step 4. Whisk the eggs.
I prefer to place sugar on top of the eggs before placing it in the mixer to whisk.
Depending on the type of whisk we owned, I time it to whisk for 9 mins on my Kenwood Major which is alredy more then 10 years old.
How to check if the batter is ready.
The egg mixture must be pale yellow, almost off white in colour.
Mixture feels light and foamy.

Step 5. Folding in flour and pandan juice.
I divide the dry and wet ingredients into 3 parts.
Place flour and pandan juice 1/3 at a time on the batter then fold them.

I used the hand whisk to help me fold in the self raising flour and water. Usually, 2 strokes is enough for me for the 1st and 2nd part of folding. At the above stage, I will add in the 2nd or 3rd part of dry and wet ingredients.
Only at the last stage of folding, I make sure all the mixture are fully incorporated and also ensure I do not over do it. 

Step 5. Pour the batter into the steaming tin.
I usually knock the pan against the table for 2 hard times so that excess air bulbles can escape before I place it into the steamer.

Step 7. Place in the steamer. 
Steam at high heat for 35mins.
Do not open the lid when steaming as it will affect the temperature.

Here it is. Steamed Pandan egg cake. Soft eggy. We love it.

Comments

Popular Posts