Kueh Salat using Pulut Hitam

 

Pulut Hitam Kueh Salat.
I love black glutinous rice kueh salat as the rice has a nutty taste. However I realised it is not commonly sold in stores selling normal noya kueh. Since I have some black glutinous left over rice, I decided to tweak the kueh salat recipe from Shiokman Eddie and the result was awesome. 
 
So below was what I did.
Following the original recipe from Shiokman Eddy, I only change the rice used.

Glutinous Rice.
I have left with 150 grams of black glutinous rice.
So instead of using 400 grams of white glutinous rice, substitute with 150 grams of black glutinous rice.

Here is the proportion.
150 grams of black glutinous rice / pulut hitam
250 grams of white glutinous rice.
Knowing that this rice is more difficult to get it cooked, I soaked it for at least 8 hours. Eventually, it was not enough.
So I would soak it for at least 12 hours instead if I try again.

White glutinous rice.
I realised soaking it for 6 hours is more than enough.
Yes, I soaked them separately so as to achieve better results.

Steaming the rice.
I followed the steaming method from the original recipe.
Mix the white and black rice with the coconut milk mixture for 20 minutes.
Fluff up the rice and do a 2nd round of steaming.
The white rice uses 100ml of blue pea flower water for 2nd steaming, I used 100ml of leftover pandan water. 
Before I continued to do a 2nd round of steaming, I noticed the black rice was very hard compared to the white rice. 
So instead of steaming for another 10 minutes (by original recipe), I steamed for another 20minutes.
When it is done, I tasted the brown rice and it was cooked. So ready to compress them. Just make sure both rice were thoroughly mix. 

This was what happened when I pour in the custard before it was ready. Guess I did not wait for it to be thicken enough when I poured it onto the rice. I did use the spoon to check if it form a coat, but I think not thick enough.
It is ok, it still tasted good after steaming.

The results.
When look closely, we can see white and brown rice mixture.
The mixture I used was just right. Thank goodness.

Sharing on what kueh salat meant to me.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts