Braised vegetables - Japanese way

                                                        BRAISED VEGETABLES
 This vegetable can be used as an ingredient for Chirashi Sushi Rice base. It can also be enjoyed as a vegetable on its own.

We need to drain off the liquid after cooking if we want to enjoy it for Chirashi Sushi Rice mix.
If to enjoy on its own, we can leave a little liquid with the vegetables.

I chance upon this recipe while searching for the sushi mix. Emm actually is the sauce recipe for me to cook this dish. Found the sushi mix in the recipe posted in Youtube by Kimono Mum. Chirashi-Sushi.

I used the sauce to cook whatever vegetables that happened to be in my refrigerator and it is delicious.

The ingredients I used shown above is
Carrot
Japanese Yam, same size of my carrot.
Fresh shitake mushroom
We can use bamboo, radish, lotus roots if we like. It is all up to our liking.
We can use any amount of vegetables. 

The trick is, we just need to prepare the sauce, add this to the ingredients with water when cooking based on our preference of salty taste level. If there are extra, we can keep them in the refrigerator. If not enough, we just need to prepare more sauce.




With the sauce ready, you just need to follow the following step.
  1. Wash, peel the skin, cut the vegetables into strips. Same sizes for all root vegetables so that they can get cooked with the same time of cooking.
  2. Place them in a pot with water enough to boil the vegetables. (Water covering the vegetables)
  3. Add the Braised Vegetable Sauce to the pot of vegetables. Taste to check our own preference. If we find that the salty level is enough, we may keep the balance unused sauce for next cooking.
  4. Let the vegetables boil until the vegetables are cooked. Cooked longer if you like them to be soft. As a guide, boiling vegetables for 5 minutes will cooked them. But we need to cook longer for softer texture.
  5. I love soft braised vegetables. So I make used of my Thermal Pot.
  6. I just have to have the vegetables boil to high at boiling point. Immediately transfer to the Thermal Pot. I leave it inside the Thermal Pot to self cook for 1 hour. The texture of the vegetables is what I like with all the flavours absorbed in the vegetables.
  7. By using the Thermal Pot, I save gas and time as well. Need not me to look after the stove, that is the reason I choose to cook this way.





Comments

Popular Posts