Traditional Steam Egg Cake (3)

 

Traditional steam egg cake.
Honestly, a simple cake can be much more complicated & difficult to make than the English cakes. Plus, using the traditional method, we steam the cake. I have this issue where I was not able to avoid having water dripping on the cake while steaming. Tried all the method recomended in the internet but do not work.
Nevermind, so long as the cake taste good, it is good enought for me.
This is the 3rd recipe for the steam egg cake I adopted after I tweaked the recipe from my Traditional Steam Egg Cake (2) and Traditional Steam Egg Cake (1).
My hubby told me this is the best out of the steam egg cakes I tried. I used more eggs, the cake tends to be more fluffy and tasted more eggy which my hubby prefer. So I am gonna record what I did today and use this recipe from today.

If you are reading this blog and would like to know how to make the cake from step one, it would be good to look and follow the following video and adopt their method of how to make it because they have the steps in video which is easy to follow.

The 1st recipe I tried was by Kathrine Kwa.

The 2nd recipe I tried was by Mary Kitchen.

Both above recipes were equally good. The only thing is, I was not able to achieve the "open flower" effect for all the cakes I steamed so far. I am not bothered by it as for me, so long as the cake meet my type of taste, that is it.

So with the above 2 recipes, a new recipe, Traditional Steam Egg Cake (3) was born by Kimpriority LOL.

Over here, I will only share the ingredients I used after I tweak their recipe to my taste. So let us start steaming the egg cake.

Ingredients required.
5 eggs. (60grams and above including egg shell)
230 grams sugar. 
300 grams plain flour.
200 gram of pandan juice made from
   6 pandan leaves and 220 grams of sparkling water.
I used a round tin - diameter of 22cm x 8cm.
Steaming time 35mins.

I have increased the number of eggs to 5, reduced sugar based on my liking and used plain flour compared from my pervious recipes. For liquid, I prefer using pandan juice made from mixing sparkling water (eg soda or sparkling water) with pandan leaves.

Step 1. Get the pandand juice.
Pour 220 gram of sparkling water into the blender.
Cut the pandan leaves into the blender before setting to blend a low speed.
Obtain the result of the picture above so that we can sieve away the pandan plup.
After squeezing the pandan plup, we will be able to obtain 200grams of pandan juice.
Step 2. Prepare the ingredients.
Lay baking paper over the steaming tin.
230 grams of caster sugar.
Sift 300 grams of plain flour.
Place 5 eggs into the mixing bowl.


Step 3.  Start the fire for the steamer to heat up. We need the water to be boiling when we finished preparing the batter. Ensure water placed is enough for 35mins of boiling at high fire.
It is always better to have the steamer wait for the batter rather than vice versa. 

Step 4. Whisk the eggs.
I prefer to place sugar on top of the eggs before placing it in the mixer to whisk.
Depending on the type of whisk we owned, I time it to whisk for 9 mins on my Kenwood Major which is alredy more then 10 years old.
How to check if the batter is ready.
The egg mixture must be pale yellow, almost off white in colour.
Mixture feels light and foamy.

Step 5. Folding in flour and pandan juice.
I divide the dry and wet ingredients into 3 parts.
Place flour and pandan juice 1/3 at a time on the batter then fold them.
Pour the batter into the steaming tin.
I usually knock the pan against the table for 2 hard times so that excess air bulbles can escape before I place it into the steamer.

Step 6. Steam at high heat for 35 minutes.

Step 7. Let it cool before cutting the cake to enjoy.
Compared to my previous 2 recipe, this cake is softer and has a stronger smell of eggs. My prefered recipe until I find a better one. LOL.

Comments

Popular Posts